Saturday, May 2, 2009

How to Start a Typing Business At Home


I started typing when I was 14 years old. Taught by my sister, I quickly learned and mastered the art of typing and developed a truly great and necessary skill.
When I took my first typing class in high school I achieved all A's from the start of the semester to the end of the semester. From that point on I have never stopped typing. I typed for neighbors who thought that they could type, but once they discovered how fast and accurately I could type, they gave it up and I found myself doing all of their typing for them. I typed book reports for my friends and for myself as well. My neighbors, who were like my family purchased an IBM typewriter; man was that thing nice. None of us had a clue as to how it worked, but in no time at all, my fingers were creating magic. The typewriter was awesome. It just need to be typed on.
When I graduated from high school, I got my first job as a typist at a bank in downtown Philadelphia. As a matter-of-fact, every single job I've ever had required some form of typing. As a teenager and into my adult years, I kept telling my sister that I wanted a job that would provide me my own office. I didn't know at the time that what I really meant waas that I wanted to have my own business.
My next and final job would be the lesson and experience that would force me into starting a lucrative, rewarding and successful typing/transcribing business.
I knew that working for someone else would never give me the opportunity to fully utilize my skills and abilities and I would never ever make the kind of money I knew I truly deserved and was capable of making.
I wanted to work in a stress-free environment and for me that meant working in the comfort of my own home. I wanted to be my own boss. I wanted freedom and flexibility, but more importantly, I needed and wanted to be home when my children got home from school. Yes, I wanted to be home to greet my children with an afternoon snack, talk to them about what they learned in school and how their days were overall.
My children knew that I loved them, but I needed to show them just how much I loved them by being home for them when they came home from school; I didn't want them to come home to an empty house. They had never experienced coming home to an empty house before and I believed it was my responsibility to be home for them and not my mother and father; my parents were always willing to help me where my children were concerned and now I knew it was time for me, their mom, to be home for them.
When I was laid-off from my last job, I enjoyed being at home and relaxing with my children all summer long. I absolutely positively loved it and was determined to keep it this way for as long as I had to earn a living. Yes, I was determined to work in the comfort of my home. After working for 13 consecutive years at the hospital, I deserved it.
In September 2002, Magic Fingers Typing Service was born. I had everything I needed except my flyers to open the doors to my new found business. So I took my time and designed an awesome flyer, (I didn't know it when I designed it that it was awesome) which turned out to be a great marketing tool for my business. With this one flyer, which I posted at universities, I attracted a nice database of clients. This flyer gave me the incentive to create and design all of my own marketing materials. (that's another story that I cannot wait to share with you) This then gave me the motivation and inspiration to write an ebook of marketing tools to help anyone in need of attention grabbing marketing materials.
This one flyer attracted three students and a professor within 3 days of posting it at the university in my home town. I typed 2 dissertations and I transcribed 26 reports for a professor, netting me great money. I enjoyed transcribing the recorded interviews - though they were all centered around the same subject, each one was different because the people being interviewed were different.
My typing business has given me some wonderful opportunities which include sharing and helping those who simply do not have the time to do their own typing, showcasing my typing skills thereby getting me more work which then in turn gives me the opportunity to cushion my pockets with more money all the while helping others.
I'm my own boss; I don't have to answer to anyone. I work when I want to work and if I choose not to work I can take time off. If I'm sick I don't ever have to worry about calling a boss to say that I won't be in to work today --I don't even have to get out of bed if I'm feeling too sick to move. I set my own hours, I'm home when my children get home from school and I've designed my business my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment